12 November 2008

Morning Devotion

How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,

Nor stand in the path of sinners,

Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!

But his delight is in the law of the Lord,

And in his law he meditates day and night.

He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,

Which yields its fruit in its season

And its leaf does not wither;

And in whatever he does, he prospers.

The wicked are not so,

But they are like chaff which the wind drives away.

Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment,

Nor sinners in the assembly of the righteous.

For the Lord knows the way of the righteous,

But the way of the wicked will perish.

~Psalm 1


It frightens me to think that I may fit in the category of the wicked in this psalm, but I do not seem to fit the description of the blessed righteous man. Sure, I consider the word both day and night, but right now that's because of my homework assignments, not because of a desire for a greater understanding of, and deeper relationship with, God.

I overheard a conversation in the student center on campus several weeks ago that struck me as sadly true, yet I seem to have done nothing about it in my life. These individuals were talking about their relationship with God pre-seminary versus their current situation. It seems many of us are in the same boat: when we come in, we are in a close relationship with God, but as we continue in our schooling, that relationship gets pushed further to the side as increased demands on our time and energy come from schoolwork, jobs, family, church commitments, internships, etc. We get so wrapped up in what needs to get done now that we neglect what is important in eternity – our relationship with God.

I am in need of a priority shift. Are you? Do you push your relationship with God to the side under the pressure of other parts of your life? Do you feel that your relationship with God is not what it used to be? If so, join me as we return our focus to the One who deserves our attention and praise.

PRAYER:

"Lord, you alone deserve all my attention and praise. You alone are due the glory I seek to place elsewhere, even on myself. Forgive me for the way I push you to the side, for you should be the focus and center of my life. Teach me to look to you first in all I do, and guide me to a restored relationship with you. Refine me, O Lord, that I may be used by you. In Jesus' name, amen."

No comments: