12 February 2008

Remember when?

So, remember when we were younger and turned papers in to teachers in hard copy? Like we would print off (or, even better, handwrite) our papers and deliver them to the teachers in person. Well, that just doesn't work anymore. We need to save the trees. It just takes too much paper to print off all these reports and turn them in that way. No, now we turn them in online. Two of my professors have special programs where course materials are distributed and turned in on a website while some of my other professors have asked that we turn in papers via email. So, I'm learning to trust that when I send an email containing my highly developed and researched thesis, the professor gets it "on time." Which brings up another issue. From my experience in receiving emails, sometimes there is a delay between when it is sent and when they arrive. I know, it shouldn't happen, but it does. Since professors who desire the work to be turned in electronically determine whether or not an assignment is late based on the time stamp in the received memo, if there is any delay papers that were legitimately completed and submitted on time can be marked as late. But, that's another issue.

So, why am I writing about this? Well, for one I'm bored after completing and turning in a paper this way. For another, I am sitting on the third floor of the library. A library that is full of books, all of which contain paper - often quite a bit of it. Many of these books are actually papers turned in by former students. Turned in as a hard copy, mind you. Not electronically.

Not that any of this is important. We are in a new age (not the New Age, that cult that I wrote a paper about last semester and turned in - in hard copy), and things are good. We are blessed to have the technology that we have, and we are doing good for the environment by killing less trees. Too bad the exhaust from the car that I drive will be killing enough other things to make up for it...

----------------
Now playing: Various Artists - Take A Chance On Me
via FoxyTunes

No comments: