07 August 2011

If I do not love...

In my last post, I talked about how focusing on Jesus and the righteousness imputed to us through His death on the cross can free us from the chains of guilt. If we turn our eyes from those things that are tempting us and toward Him, those things become dull and drab in the midst of His splendor.

In a practical sense, though, what does it mean to fix our eyes on Jesus? How can we seek to be holy as He is holy (1 Peter 1:16)?

Before I started singing the hymn Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus (see prior post), I had Ginny Owens’ I am Nothing in my head (we’re talking all morning…). Here are a few of the lyrics…

I could live a flawless life,
Never cheat or steal or lie,
And always speak so kindly, smile warmly, and go about doing good.
I could dedicate myself to do what everyone else wants me to-
Listen to them, compliment them, say the things I should.
I could show up every Sunday, lead the choir and Bible study
And they all might come to know me as a leader and a friend.
Oh, I could achieve success on earth, but success cannot define my worth
And all these actions, all these words, will not matter in the end-

Songs will fade to silence,
Stories, they will cease.
The dust will settle, covering all my selfless deeds.
So as I strive to serve you,
Won’t you make it clear to me,
If I do not love, I am nothing.


So thinking about focusing on Christ and His love and being holy as He is holy, I thought, what is it Christ has called us to do? He tells us of the two greatest commandments, to love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind, and to love your neighbor as yourself. I really think there are three great commandments here, the third being assumed. In order for us to love our neighbor as ourselves, we have to love ourselves. Radical thought, huh? Well seriously… you can ask my husband. I am the queen of being down on myself. I had my own little guilty shame-filled pity party last night for wasting away my day and making choices that certainly weren’t about to earn me any favor in God’s eyes. I beat myself up over small things and in essence not only make it all about me, but also all about not loving me. If I’m wrapped up in not loving myself, there certainly isn’t room for focusing on loving the Lord my God, much less loving my neighbor. (My neighbor wouldn’t want to be around me.)

Thinking a little further, if I’m to be focused on Jesus, how can I learn from Him how to love myself? Well to start, Jesus lived a very balanced, healthy lifestyle. When he was tired, He got away from the crowds and rested; when He needed spiritual refreshment or guidance, He turned to God in prayer; when He was tempted, He called upon God; when He was hungry or thirsty He ate; when He needed to focus on His purpose or His relationship with God, He put those things first. Though He ministered to both Jew and Gentile, His deep relationships were with dear God-fearing friends and together they took time for fellowship and relaxation. He focused His gaze upon things not of this earth, but things of Heaven. There was no room for falling to temptation – probably even no appeal. He was so focused on God’s splendor and love and purpose, all other things didn’t even matter. Loving Himself didn’t mean boasting about menial earthly things – His only boasting was that He was the Son of the Living God – and we too can boast about that! Loving Himself didn’t mean regular extravagant beauty treatments (though he certainly allowed it when it was the sacrificial love of the woman with the oil). Loving Himself meant loving who He was in God and taking care of His body as a vessel for God’s purposes. And loving Himself meant accepting God’s purposes for Him.

To love my neighbor as myself, sometimes I think I just need to get over myself. God created me; therefore, what I might see as flaws He sees as perfection. God sent His Son to save me; therefore, what I might see as sin, He sees as righteousness. If I love Him, I can focus on His love, learn to love myself, and then know how to truly love my neighbor. That’s way more refreshing (and joy-producing) than shameful self-loathing!

Here is the end of the song:

If I cannot live my life loving my brother,
Then how can I love the one who lived his life for me?

Sent to earth from heaven,
Humble servant, holy king,
Come to share a story, get no glory, and save my searching soul,
You knew that I’d deny you, crucify you, but nothing could stop you from
Living for me, dying for me, so that I would know-

Songs will fade to silence,
Stories will cease,
The dust will settle covering these selfless deeds.
But your life here has made it clear enough for me to see
That if I do not love, I am nothing

2 comments:

the royster said...

just "happened" upon you postings the other day. Very interesting. If I'm not mistaken, you might be living in the the house that my parents lived in-- Bruce and Elenore Clarke were with SIM/AEF from about 81 to 93 and they were based in Solwezi. I expect the mission still has that place- surrounded by big pine trees, or at least it used to be. My Dad also went to DTS and did an M.TH. before going out to Zambia. It's really interesting to see what is going on in Solwezi, and you guys' fascinating interactions and reactions. How's your Kikaonde coming these days? Mine is really rusty, but it's still in there somewhere, waiting to come out. Shalaipo, mwane.

Unknown said...

Thanks for contacting us! Were your parents the ones who put in the pool? Apparently someone put in a pool, and then someone else filled it in. Anyhow, feel free to e-mail us (tiffany.wessler@sim.org). It is the house with the pine trees, although they cut them all down in January because of risk of them falling - so we're still trying to get the mess cleaned up. Anyhow, the Kikaonde is coming, but Solwezi is changing so much that fewer people actually speak it!