15 February 2009

Destroying our Brains, Losing our Morals

I'm not gonna lie, I watch a lot more television than I should. I don't go to school anymore, and I only work from 3-8, Monday through Thursday, so I usually plop myself in front of the tube and watch whatever is on. Granted, we don't have cable, so I can choose from about 10 channels (and another 5 if I spoke Spanish), not 100+ like many others, but these few stations are enough to realize that our entertainment is destroying us.

This morning on "Meet the Press" we found yet another politician not answering the questions asked of him. But, what more should we expect. I mean, we shouldn't expect straight answers anymore anyway, especially since we probably wouldn't like what we hear.

And that's not even what bothers me the most.

After watching Mighty Joe Young on the CW this afternoon, on came a commercial for the new 90210 where one lady tells the other that she slept with some guy. And that was supposed to entice us to watch the show. We've become accustomed to soap operas having characters who sleep around, but the amorality has become a mainstay in regular shows as well. As I write this blog, I have "Brothers & Sisters" on, a show that does a great job portraying the interaction between adult siblings in a large family (something I have a little experience with). Though I am mildly addicted to this show, I am disgusted by the fact that all of the characters encourage each other to sleep with people early on in their relationships. Even the mother, a widow whose husband had several mistresses, recently slept with a man who was in an open marriage. And she was portrayed as being too old-fashioned and conservative because she was upset about being the "other woman" when the man was in a modern "open marriage". What!?!

Could it be that we as a society would rather pursue the desires of the flesh than the God of the universe? Is our current situation yet another example of Scripture lived out?

I would say "yes and yes". If we have any doubts, just consider Romans 1:18ff. God has revealed Himself in more ways than we could imagine, yet we have chosen to pursue other, lesser gods. Gods of sex; gods of pleasure; gods of money; gods of status. We have so rejected the very God who loves us that we are now seeing our depravity lived out in front of us. Not only that, but we are encouraging others to be just as depraved as ourselves.

So, let us join together and pray for our country. Pray that hearts may be turned to God, that workers may arise to share the Gospel, and that our leaders may be open to be used by the One who put them in office to begin with. Maybe then our country will actually have hope.

No comments: