24 February 2009

Random Encounters

I have to admit, I have this quirk. I love going to grocery stores like Central Market and Whole Foods just for all the yummy samples they have out. I don't usually buy anything - I just browse. So today, during my lunch break, I made my way over to Central Market.

As I finished up my rounds sampling a variety of fruits and other goodies, I heard someone say my name. I turn and look up - way up (this person was 6'5"-ish)- to see a face from years back. It was a guy who used to hang out at the country club where I was a lifeguard summer after summer in high school in Missouri. And not just any guy, but one on whom I had a huge crush summer after summer. He had gone to one of the neighboring high schools. Obviously, nothing came out of all of that... but I digress. He had only been in Dallas two days, and was staying for two weeks as part of an internship he is doing with the School of Metaphysics. Apparently, he's been going to one of the Missouri branches of this school or working at it for quite a while now - long enough that he lived on their "farm" for about 20 months.

What is this school, you ask? Well, I looked it up, and this is part of the description on the website:

"The School of Metaphysics has been teaching people how to use their minds more effectively for three decades. Through research, application and by passing on what is learned, we teach how to harmonize your Mind with Universal Principles for greater insight, happiness, security, prosperity, health, and peace. School of Metaphysics lessons teach individuals to master the whole Self, freeing them to live their full potential as an intuitive, spiritual being."

And he provided me with a brochure for their upcoming seminar and one on a course called "experiential course in the study of the mind and mastery of consciousness" - suggesting that Luke might be interested. Some of the class objectives include: learn to cause permanent healing; learn that Thought is Cause; Learn to interpret dreams in the Universal Language of Mind... You can "become eligible to attend the weekly healing class" and "participate in Peace Dome activities." The "farm" my friend lived on is really more of a commune than anything else.

Now I'm not one to judge, and I honestly think that "mastering my mind" wouldn't be such a bad thing if it helped me make good choices - like not going back for more ice cream and chocolate - but it is in attempting to master my own mind and master myself that I lose the very control I'm seeking to grasp. On the other hand, the only true freedom that allows us to live to anything near our potential, is to:

"Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight." (Proverbs 3:5-6).

I could say so much more. It was definitely interesting to run into an old friend in a strange place and to realize how we each have gone completely different directions than either of us would have suspected of the other when we were 16. More than anything, I am grateful that the Lord has opened my eyes to the true path to freedom - through the atoning sacrifice of His Son Jesus Christ, who died on the cross in my place, to cover my wretched sinfulness... and yours. I pray my friend will experience that same freedom some day. We don't have to attend a school to "discover the purpose for our existence" or work toward "self mastery," but only have to accept the freely given Grace of an Awesome God.

For He says: "I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity." (Jeremiah 29:4)

Have you experienced freedom from the capitivity of sin?

No comments: