17 July 2009

Featured stories...and what should be

I still have a Yahoo! email address, though I rarely use it. Every now and then I get something important in it (like information regarding Tim and Danielle's wedding), but usually it's junk mail. Nevertheless, part of my Internet routine is to check my Yahoo! page (after quickly scanning facebook for anything really interesting and before scanning over my dad's blog). Today was no exception, so I navigate to yahoo.com, and up pops the page I've come to know so well. I quickly scan the four featured stories that pop up, and the first one...the one that is the feature of features...the one with the picture up first that you will be sure to see as soon as you get to Yahoo!...is about Michael Jackson. Again. This one in particular was about a song of his that is previously unreleased but apparently sounds very similar to another song. Shocking.

I happened to glance a little further down the page and saw a much more interesting headline. Apparently there were a couple of bombings at some hotels in Jakarta (a Ritz and a Marriott, I believe), killing 8 and injuring about 50. This was just above something about Sotomayor's impending appointment, and a few above a video of a man proposing to his girlfriend on a big screen...while in his underwear.

Not gonna lie, judging by the way this was all laid out, I'm reminded again of how messed up our priorities really are...

No comments: