14 May 2011

A Look at Village Life... Part 2

April 29
…Even though it’s peaceful and fun in many ways, I still find myself counting down the days until we return to Solwezi. There’s just something about being in your own bed and own kitchen and somewhat in control of your own schedule and not worried about miscommunicating or offending. There’s also something wonderful about a shower. Heck, even a bathtub would be great. I washed my hair again by dunking my head completely in a bucket of water. Fun stuff. In a week I’ll be a pro.

Luke’s stomach is bothering him today. It worries me a bit because at lunch yesterday they served us meat from the night before – which they had just left in the pot in a cabinet without re-heating. We did have beans last night, though, so it may just be gas…

… People here are definitely showing appreciation – bringing chickens and okra and bananas and all sorts of stuff to welcome us as visitors. We have no idea what we should do to show our gratitude. The sacrifices people here are making for us are incredible and really humbling. I am too selfish to be so selfless! But, as Proverbs 28:27 says, “He who gives to the poor will lack nothing, but he who closes his eyes to them receives many curses.” Lord, help me to have a giving heart and to be able to discern how much to give, how much to do, who to help, and most of all, how to glorify and amplify you in the process.

April 30
Last night we woke up to a rat in the room. I jumped back and all night found myself turning a flash light on and looking around…

But there are really good things too. Last night all the kids actually came inside with us after dinner and we played UNO. Surprisingly that is one game that does not require everyone to speak the same language. It was fun to see the kids so excited and Mrs. Yanjisha has an awesome laugh and smile. She is always singing and humming. Life is so simple, yet so incredibly happy.

The kids are creating new toys, like a full oxen and cart set from clay and twigs. They also shoot homemade pellets with slingshots. Yesterday, one of the kids hit a pretty tropical bird and the Yanjishas asked me if I ate that kind of bird and if I wanted them to cook it. Eeeek! I said I don’t know and I think they could tell by my face it wasn’t a good idea.

Today we helped crush stones for their church’s new foundation (talk about humbling!). This afternoon we went and watched a couple of village “futbol” games. It was a nice mix up from just sitting at the house. Some of the Yanjisha grandkids have really taken to Luke and he had one on his shoulders the whole time.

It rained a bit and afterward there was a great rainbow. I may never get used to the incredible skies here – rainbows, sunsets, and the most amazing star-filled nights. In the book I’m reading (Lover of My Soul), it talks of how God often communicates to us as his bride – with sweet whispers to draw us close, not loud shouts or giant storms. We have to listen for those whispers and gaze upon His splendor. We can’t always look for the “use” of something, trying to capture the stars in a photo for others or find purpose other than taking in God’s beauty and goodness.

No comments: