20 May 2011

A Look at Village Life... Part 4

May 3

Apparently rats don’t bite here. I hardly believe it, but it still would have been good to hear at midnight when I heard a noise, turned on my flashlight, and saw one scurry across the room. It also would have been good a little while later when I saw the second one. I definitely did not sleep well last night – and because I didn’t, Luke didn’t either. The Yanjishas tried to reassure me that the rats won’t bother me, but only want bread and maize. Yeah right. Even so, they said we can keep the cat inside tonight so if there are any rats, she can take care of them. I was seriously ready to pack my bag and go somewhere… somehow. I counted down the hours until the sun would come up and the days until we would leave. Around 2:30, I lay there praying, asking God why in the world he created rats, and begging Him to keep the rats away until this stay is over. Apparently that was what I needed to do, because sometime after that I fell asleep and slept fairly soundly the rest of the night. I’m still considering sleeping with a candle lit tonight.

So I’ve been reading through Proverbs on the corresponding day of the week. Today I was reading Proverbs 3 and 21-26 are about having sound judgment and having no fear when you lie down – that when you lie down your sleep will be sweet and you can have confidence in the Lord with no fear of sudden disaster. I guess that worked. :)

No comments: