23 January 2009

Assignment in Habakkuk

Habakkuk is not necessarily the easiest book in the Bible to understand. I mean, most people have a hard time just spelling its author's name. Yet one teacher, missionary in Nigeria, decided to have her seventh grade class study this book. As part of this study, she had the students write their own "book" to God in the same general format as the book - our complaint, God's reply, and our prayer in response (note: I realize that the book itself actually has two interchanges between Habakkuk and God, but, hey, they were seventh graders, not seminary students). Some of the kid's assignments were included in the latest "Serving in Mission Together", a magazine put out by SIM. I'm including one here that particularly struck me.

"One girl wrote: Complaint - 'God, you took my mum and left me alone to care for the younger children.' She created this answer from God: 'My dearest daughter, you know I love you and always will. You and your family are mine. Your mum is mine, and I was sharing her with you.'"


Nothing like the words of a child to really put everything into perspective.

1 comment:

Eric Olsen said...

brilliant teacher. I LOVE the idea.